This is a quick and easy recipe for Chicken Karaage or Japanese fried chicken. The is most often found in ramen joint as a side dish, providing a nice crunchy accompaniment to hot soup. The taste I usually find missing in commercial versions is the strong ginger taste I enjoy that’s why we make it at home.
- 8 boneless chicken thighs
- oil, for deep frying
- 90g cornflour
- 50g fresh ginger
- 60ml sake
- 60ml soy sauce
- Cut the chicken thighs into 4 and set aside
- Grate ginger and squeeze to extract the juice
- In a mixing bowl Add sake and soy sauce and ginger juice
- add the chicken thighs and rub well with the marinade
- Heat oil to 165-170 degrees.
- Pat the chicken pieces dry on a paper towel.
- Coat the chicken with cornflour and lower it into the hot oil
- Deep fry chicken pieces for 4-5 minutes until crisp and golden brown
- Check the doneness by slicing in half one chicken piece.